Tuesday 7 July 2009

What Happens Next? (I thank YOU)

Well things are starting to settle here after the "staggered" launch of my Focal Point. What with sorting out all the posting, updating websites, the distribution of the album and the MP3s across the myriad of websites etc. It's been none stop for what feels months... actually it has been nearly 18 months since I decided to do a solo album. Time flies when you're having fun.

What next? Well I feel like one does when returning from a great holiday. You know that feeling you get..., you want to avoid the mundane and you want the adventure to continue. I'm sure it will. But I think a little break is now in order. My "babies" have flown the nest and I wait impatiently to see what interest they can generate. Will Focal Point be my one and only? Who knows?

I do know I have enough songs for album two ( I even have a working title..., "P-Dice", you heard it here first) but it boils down to time and money, as most things do in this world.

Will "Focal Point" sell enough copies to finance "P-Dice"? Perhaps.., only time will tell. I know I have my fingers crossed.

But I must admit I was a little disheartened to see a "Fan" had posted the MP3 Files of Focal Point on his blog for all to download for free. It's my blood, tears and sweat that went into creating those songs and he thinks he has the right to give them away. Perhaps he would like it if I came to his house and took something of his away without a by or leave?

I guess there will always be those that think it's ok to steal when its done from the privacy of their own home and no-one gets hurt. I'm not a multinational music publishing company with assets and limitless resources, I'm a "working joe" who writes music in his spare time like 99% of the world songwriters. I cleaned out my savings to get this project done to a standard I am happy with. I could go on about piracy but I'll probably leave that for another blog.

No the main reason for this, my first real blog is to say thank you. The feedback and reviews I have read have been unbelievable. The messages I have been sent over the last few months have been encouraging and supportive.

As a solo project I have been locked away in my studio, week in week out, laying down every layer of sound, note by note, beat by beat, emotion upon emotion. But it sometimes gets lonely staring at the same 4 walls but getting feedback along the way has been a crucial part of my journey.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE doing it. I obsess at the wonder of hearing a song develop from a few words, a riff or even an idea. There is something magical in music that I'm sure we all feel.

Why do we feel it? Well I think its down to:

Q's first law.

"EMOTION IN = EMOTION OUT"

If you can capture an emotion with music then your job is done. This is no chicken and egg situation. You need to be able to feel it, then you need to communicate it and Art, whether it's in form of music or dance, is the method used. ( There I go again another subject for another blog)

OK back on track.... press pause.

1 comment:

  1. Hey "Q",

    I am excited to hear that album #2 is in the works( somewhat) at this point. As a fan, I am always willing to help a friend out, word of mouth and even donating $ to help out, are what it is all about... that is what a fan does..."PURCHASE" your hard earned work and even harder earned time... but alas, there are those who will do anything to appease their selfish behavior... no matter how you look at it...uploading someone elses work and broadcasting it for "free" is still in my opinion...STEALING!!!!
    To the "fan" who did this to you, I say, shame on you..your lack of imagination in getting the word out about Paul and Focal Point, is less than stellar.. Had you started a web-site where you help sell his album for him, and all proceeds went back to him, I would say bravo... Now all I want to do is "kick the sh*t out of you."
    I can't believe in this day and time their are still thieves wanting more, for something they had nothing to do with in the first place.
    Grow up!!!! I love "Q's" music, and have been in touch with him on several occassions, just to chat... Be a good fan not a fool...NOW "FADE AWAY".

    So sorry this has to happen to a great guy, and a really awsome musician..
    On behalf of all the true fans out there Paul,


    Your friend, and your true fan for life...

    John Valdes-Fauli

    ReplyDelete